Thursday, February 5, 2009

No reason to repeat bad history

It's finally Thursday afternoon! I have been waiting for this all week. I'm not completely there yet because right now it is only 1:59 and our bell to leave doesn't ring until 3:05. Almost there though! You are probably thinking that I still have one more day of this week but I don't! I had to take off work tomorrow because I have to go to Athens to have a class meeting. We only have 3 the whole semester. I am an online student. This week has literally exhausted me! I am glad that it will be over in one hour and 5 minutes! Yahoo!
I am upset about a situation that we had a school this week and I'm not sure at all about what to do. On Monday we had a pretty massive fight in the gym. 5 white boys against one black boy. The black boy, Cameron, is a group home student. He is from Triwell. For those of you who don't know, that means that he has been in some seriously rough circumstances growing up and also that he has done some seriously rough stuff. This is his first year in a public school and it's kind of like a trial run. If he is good, he can stay. If not, he's out. I guess that because of these circumstances I have shown some favoritism to Cameron when I probably shouldn't have. He's not exactly the most well behaved kid in my class but he's by far not the worst either. So, anyway, on Monday, some of the boys were aggrivating Cameron. The rumor is that they were calling him racial names. I will let you take the wild guess. Well, he was obviously trying really hard not to react to the boys and he turned around and started walking away. Then one of the boys came up behind him and pushed him. He turned around and all 5 of the boys jumped onto him. He (being a pretty tough kid) threw them all down to the ground. That was all of that. Well, the boys (the 5) went around all day telling everyone how they "would have totally kicked his butt if we weren't at school." It was completely obnoxious and I had a chance enounter with them in the hall at one point in the afternoon where I put a stop to that. Anyway, to make a long story a little less long, the next day, Cameron got written up and the other boys didn't. Well, I must steal a quote from Elenor Holmes, "There is no reason to repeat bad history." Why do we have to show a difference. They are all kids equal in God's eyes and equal in my eyes.
Talk about unfair. The reasoning was supposedly that the other boys never "threw a punch" and Cameron did. Well, this administration shows so much favoritism to that group of kids. As a matter of a fact, once in the middle of the day, I left school with my sister and ran into the Vice Principal of the school with about 10 of our worst behaved kids. He was taking them out to lunch for "improved behavior"? What the crap? I can't even begin to understand why these kids who are outright mean to the other kids are being treated like there is nothing that they could do that would cause them to get into trouble and the less fortunate kids are being treated like everything they do is wrong. I don't know what to do because I feel like Cameron is being pushed into the direction of becoming a bad kid. Why should he try to do the right thing or make bad grades when they are going to find something wrong with everything that he does? Is this 1920? Are they really going to show racial and socioeconomic favoritism? I don't understand.
Well, I guess that I am done ranting about that. I do feel like I should do or say something. I am just undecided on what? Anyway, on a totally different note, I have a lot to do this evening so I guess that there will be no time for my evening nap! :( That's ok though. I am going to suck it up and go to the gym! I also have to let the doctor check my arm and make sure that I don't have TB. My fingers are crossed. :) Well, that's about all for me today.

3 comments:

  1. That is CRAZY about Cameron. I think you should totally yell at the principal, but I know that's really not going to get you anywhere (except possibly written up yourself... *sigh*).

    I'm glad you had a mental health day on Wednesday. I did too! (But I got fussed at about mine, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had one too! Sorry you got fussed at! That's never fun!

    ReplyDelete