Thursday, February 19, 2009

Learning the hard way

Josh and I own a mobile home in Arley where we lived when we first got married. We have been renting it out for the past 9 months and it has been really rough. I had no idea how to be a landlord when I first started. I thought that they would just sign the papers and start paying. We didn't make very many arrangements or addendums. Well, it turns out that there is a lot more to it than that! So, we finally got our bad, terrible, aweful renters out a couple of weeks ago (thanks in large part to my aunt Tina) and now we are ready to start over. Well, I think that it does suck that I had to learn the hard way but I'm kinda glad that I did because I am more than prepared this time! I paid to sign up for this online "landlord made easy" kind of deal where you basically fill in the blanks about what you want in your rental agreement. It was really simple and easy and then the papers come out so professional sounding. It gives you all of the Alabama rental laws concerning the subject in each area. I also have access to every kind of document that I could possibly need. I'm really excited about that! I am OCD when it comes to being organized! I have like a hundred kinds of documents labeled and filed away in a binder that I take to every meeting with our potential renters. So, anyway, I am meeting two women tomorrow who are the ones that we have narrowed it down to. I have prayed about it a lot and I feel ready to make the choice. They both love the place and definately want it. So, all I have to do is ask questions, get them to fill out an applicaion, send off a credit report, and then choose and sign papers! It sounds like a huge headache and last time it really was. But, I think that if I do well this time then Josh and I may just end up owning our own rental agency like my aunt Tina. It's easy income if you are doing it right and choosing the right people. I don't know why but I guess I just wanted to share all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment