Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On the road to becoming a teacher

Today is Wednesday which means that it's my 5th grade day. I used to hate 5th grade day because they always ask way too many questions and kinda drive me nuts...but now I like it because they are really queit and I actually get to have a day of peace and quiet! I also have a lot more time off on Wednesdays. I get really bored but I think its better than being overrun with kids and not having a minute to myself. Don't get me wrong...I love my 6th grade kids...Sometimes I just need a break!

On a semi-related note...I am in one of those moods where I wish that I could see the future. Tiffany teaches 9th grade English across the street at the high school. That's how I got this job as a lab facilitator this year while I was still in college. I wanted the job at the high school but they gave it to someone else and gave me the job at the middle school. I complain a lot about this job but really it's been great. I have all day to sit at my desk and study and do homework and I get paid. Now, I certainly don't get paid enough but neither do teachers so I guess that's a whole different subject. The days can get crazy and the kids can certainly drive me nuts but all in all, I'm very thankful for this job this year. I really love my group of kids and I will miss them next year! Because of my internship semester next spring, I won't be able to do this job next year. I have already turned in my resignation. I will definately be glad to not have to work next year considering my class schedule, but I can't wait to graduate and become a real teacher. This job has made me want it so much more. I want to teach high school with my sister. We are not sure, as of right now, if we are going to stay at West Blocton or try to get a job in Tuscaloosa but either way...we will be glad to work together! If I could choose, I would teach 10th or 11th grade because those are the American History years but as it turns out...The 9th grade and 12th grade history teachers will both be retiring the year that I graduate...Go figure. So, the good news is that I feel like I have a guaranteed job. My sister is an amazing teacher and everyone loves her so Dr. Milligan, the principal, is crazy about her and hopefully will hire me because I'm just like her. But, the down side is that if we decide to go to a Tuscaloosa school, the chances of us both landing a job at the same school are less likely. I pray about it alot and I know that God will place us just where we are needed. If we stay and I teach 9th grade, then my 2nd year as a teacher, I would teach my same group of kids again! That would be awesome! I tell them all the time when they talk about me leaving after this year that they will see me again! God has blessed my life so much with not only my job this year but also my career choice. I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher and it is exactly what I thought that it would be. It is stressful, aggravating, nerve-racking, intense, scary, fun, intimidating, and everything else in the world but it's amazing. I guess that's all about that subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment