Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our new church

I never knew how it felt to be new at church until now...I've never really had to be new at a church before. When I started to Mount Vernon I was young and I had Morgan to introduce me to everyone...and I already knew a lot of people from school. It was just easy and I really started to feel at home quickly. Now we are the new people at church and it is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Josh and I spent a loonngg time trying different churches after we moved to Tuscaloosa and we got really discouraged when we couldn't find a single service that even remotely reminded us of Mt. Vernon. We both LOVE Mt. Vernon and have called it home for most of our lives. We have a church family there and a history and were both VERY involved there. So, it has been a rough year trying to find a church where we could see ourselves belonging like we do at Mt. Vernon. We prayed each week that God would lead us to the right place where he wanted us to go and where he needed us. We are so willing to go where God wants us and we want him to plant us somewhere where he will REALLY use us.....and guess what? He did! We started to First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa a couple of months ago. We found it online and the first thing that struck our attention was all of the oppertuinties to get involved. They have an amazing music and drama ministry (and for those of you who know me...you know that music and drama is a big deal for me)...and they have a softbal team (that's Josh's favorite thing). Those were the reasons why we watned to visit that church but God gave us reasons to think that we might someday call that church home. We fell in love with the chruch on our first visit. I knew that I loved it but I didn't want to influence Josh's answer so I asked him first and he loved it too. We have been going there ever since and we are really enjoying it. This morning we talked after church about how we can really see ourselves becoming a part of this church. We are going to continue to pray about it because we want to be SURE that this is where God wants us before we transfer our letter of membership... I'm just really happy that we have found a church that we love and that we can grow in and become involved. I feel like we are where God wants us to be and that we did move for a reason. I know that God is going to use us to do great things here and I'm so blessed that I have such an amazing Godly husband to serve God with.

2 comments:

  1. I totally know where you are coming from on this thing! Michael and I didn't really feel like Pates Chapel was where we needed to be after lots of praying about it. We began our search around August of last year and are just now getting really excited about Calera Baptist. Isn't it funny how scary it is to start something new like that, but so exciting to know that God has placed you somewhere special to serve HIM!!
    Good luck with continuing the process, I know it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's good to know that we are not the only ones who feel scared about it! It's hard when you have always felt so at home at church. I'm glad that y'all found a place that you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete