Tuesday, July 19, 2011

David stumbles, desperate souls always do.

Have you ever been shown something by God that just instantly knocked the breath out of you?

David was desperate. He had come to the realization that Saul wasn't going to give up until he was dead. So he decided to run. And where do so many desperate people run to?

Church. God's house. -- Seeking hope. Seeking comfort. Seeking safety from a cruel judgmental world.

David came to the church looking for two things.

Food and a sword.

The priest Ahimelech had to reach deep into his spirit to come to the conclusion that it was ok to give these things to David even though it didn't exactly comply with the law. Ahimelech went with his gut. And years later, Jesus himself used that very instinct as an example to teach the Pharisees that sometimes we should go with our gut instead of the law of the land, so to speak.

So many times, desperate people walk into our lives looking for sanctuary within us because they know that we call ourselves sons and daughters of Christ but we choose not to help and say that we can't because it would involve us stepping out of our comfort zones. --(A lot of times I think we use the standard that the world set for us as "Law" when it's really just the standard of what people will think of you.)

-What if someone is reaching out to you? Desperate for God.

-----------------------------------------------

"David teaches the desperate to seek help amidst God's people. David stumbles in this story. Desperate souls always do. But at least he stumbles into the right place-- into God's sanctuary, where God meets and ministers to hopeless hearts."


When I read this short passage, I had one of those spiritual experiences that only happen every so often. When you just know that God is speaking straight to you. It literally knocked the breath out of me. I cried. I felt God's spirit telling me exactly what I needed to hear.

So what if someone stumbles. Even if they stumble big. As long as they stumble into the arms of Christ, He will be there to set them back on the right path. Because God's there to minister to the hopeless heart.

Recently I learned the hard way that never giving up takes serious courage and strength. Someone said to me that God chooses to give heavy burdens to people who He knows are strong enough to carry the load. Sometimes God needs us to carry the burden of not giving up on someone who most people would call hopeless. But I know for a fact that there is no such thing as hopeless in the eyes of my God.

So what if I had given up? Where would I be now? I wouldn't care to imagine. Glory be to my God for the strength and courage that saw me through to victory. To Him be ALL the glory, every single bit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, Crystal. It is truly inspiring to see how you are turning to God and trusting Him through this. It is easy to put all the pressure and responsibility on ourselves to conquer our demons/overcome our struggles; to forget that it is in our very nature to need God. The more we rely on ourselves, the more we are destined to fail. As believers, it is crucial to understand God wants to help, and heal. David is a great example of trusting God over our own abilities. Relying on God is certainly a daily/hourly need. So glad you have found a group of fellow believers to gain support and encouragement.
    Praying for you and sending uplifting thoughts your way!

    ps. here is some neat art that Jake found today. It goes with this post great!
    http://jimlepage.com/blog/word-1-samuel/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heidi. I certainly have my moments of wanting to rely on myself to fix it but you're absolutely right. I always fall back down when I try to get up that way. I'm working on allowing myself to completely lean on and trust God. It's not always easy, but it gets easier each time I allow Him to take over.

    I loved the art and the message. Thanks for sharing that with me and thanks for your continued prayers and thoughts. It means more than you know. :)

    ReplyDelete